|Course Date||Start Time||End Time||Time Zone||Location||Days||Price|
|Call for In Class or Live Virtual Dates||3||$2,695 CAD||Purchase|
PowerShell for System Center Configuration Manager Administrators
This three-day instructor-led course provides students with the knowledge and skills needed to use PowerShell for Endpoint Configuration Manager (ECM) administration. In this course, students learn how to access the PowerShell cmdlets included with ECM 2203 and use them to perform configuration tasks for a primary site. Individual cmdlets will be used in working with objects such as Boundaries, Boundary Groups, Collections, Software Deployment, Patching, Compliance Settings, OSD Task Sequences, and many others. Basic scripting will also be covered so that students can learn how to put PowerShell to use when working with large sets of objects.
Duration: 3 days
- Basic Windows and Active Directory knowledge.
- Conceptual knowledge of Configuration Manager objects and how they interact.
- Basic experience performing configuration tasks in ECM using the graphical console.
- Experience working from a command prompt.
- Basic knowledge of the fundamentals of Windows PowerShell.
- This course is intended for IT professionals who need to manage the day-to-day environment of an ECM 2203 or newer environment. Knowledge of the workings of a standalone primary ECM site and basic PowerShell experience is recommended.
- Create additional site system roles on existing or new servers.
- Modify high level site settings.
- Create and modify Discovery Methods, Boundaries and Boundary Groups.
- Create Collections using any of the membership rules available.
- Delegate authority through Roles and Scopes.
- Install the Configuration Manager client, modify client settings and restrict access to site systems.
- Deploy software to clients.
- Deploy software updates to clients.
- Configure compliance settings targeted against collections.
- Modify settings that govern monitoring functions such as Alerts and Status Settings.
- Work with Task Sequences for Operating System Deployment.
- Write basic PowerShell scripts using cmdlets learned and scripting constructs to accomplish configuration tasks.
- Module 1: Review of Endpoint Configuration Manager Concepts
This module explains the main capabilities of a Endpoint Configuration Manager hierarchy. In a brief review students will learn how the various objects work together to provide the functionality delivered with ECM 2203.
- Module 2: Managing Resources
This module explains how to use PowerShell cmdlets to work with resources. Topics include configuring discovery methods, creating and modifying Boundaries and Boundary Groups, and working with Collections. On-demand and scheduled collection membership evaluation settings will also be discussed.
- Module 3: Working with Clients
This module explains how to use PowerShell to manage devices with a Configuration Manager client. Topics include installing the client software, invoking client actions, modifying client settings and changing the status of clients. The module also describes how to set a client device variable, deploy new settings to the client, and refresh client status results.
- Module 4: Distributing Software
This module explains how to configure the software distribution functionality, create and modify software packages and applications, establish Global Conditions for use with Requirement Rules, and work with Distribution Points and Distribution Point Groups.
- Module 5: Updating Systems with WSUS and ECM
This module explains how to use the PowerShell commands to create and configure the integration of ECM and WSUS using a Software Update Point. It also describes how to create and modify Software Update Groups and Automatic Deployment Rules. Cmdlets are also used to manage Deployment Packages and their associated Deployments.
- Module 6: How PowerShell Can Manage Compliance Settings
This module explains how to use PowerShell cmdlets to create and manage Configuration Items and Baselines. Deployment of Baselines is also discussed.
- Module 7: Configuring Operating System Deployment Objects
This module explains how to take advantage of the PowerShell commands wth ECM to configure the Operating System Deployment function. It also describes how to configure Drivers and Driver Packages, Boot Images, Operating System Images and Task Sequences. Deployment of Task Sequences to Collections is also covered.
- Module 8: Working at the Site Level
This module explains how to manage site level configurations such as adding site system roles and creating Secondary sites. It also describes how to setup email notification for alerts and modify the hierarchy settings.
- Module 9: Security and Monitoring
This module explains how to use cmdlets to implement role based administration through security roles and scopes. It also describes how Endpoint Protection policies can be configured and deployed. The module also explains various monitoring functions available through PowerShell such as Alerts, Status Filter Rules, Status Summarizers, Status Message Queries and Alert Subscriptions.
- Module 10: Using PowerShell Scripting to Automate Tasks
This module explains how to use constructs such as if, switch, foreach, and for, alongside commands to create scripts that automate various Configuration Manager tasks.