Oracle has announced their new line of Engineered Systems – The X5 Family. Along with more power and features, Oracle is also highlighting a pricing model that represents significant value for the amount of performance received.
“We’re going to compete for that core data center business. Our appliances and engineered systems deliver the highest performance by a large margin at the lowest purchase price for the data center core. They get the job done faster, more securely and more reliably than any competitive offering available today,” said Ellison. “Our customers want their data centers to be as simple and as automated as possible. With some of Oracle’s engineered systems and appliances, you can pay 50 percent less, BUT you have to be willing to take TWICE the performance.”
Highlights from Oracle’s X5 Announcement
- Oracle’s Virtual Compute Appliance X5: Paired with the Oracle FS1 Series Flash Storage System, the Virtual Compute Appliance provides a complete, converged infrastructure system. Deployed in a matter of hours, this system can dramatically reduce cost, risk, installation, and management time, and give customers the ability to easily reduce infrastructure complexity by as much as 70 percent, deploy applications 7x faster, and cut capital expenditures by as much as 50 percent. Compared to Cisco plus EMC, Virtual Compute Appliance is 50 percent cheaper and easier to deploy.
- Oracle Database Appliance X5: Ideal for distributed and branch office deployments, Oracle Database Appliance offers a complete package of compute, storage, and software that saves time and money by simplifying deployment, maintenance, and support of database and application workloads. Oracle Database Appliance X5 adds flash caching, integrated InfiniBand connectivity, increased compute cores, and increased storage to improve consolidation density by up to 4x.
- Oracle Big Data Appliance X5: Delivers comprehensive and secure Hadoop and NoSQL capabilities to the enterprise at a 35 percent lower three-year total cost of ownership and with 30 percent faster deployment time than a custom-built cluster. For faster, lower-cost throughput, the new appliance comes with twice the RAM and 2.25x the processor cores. Also available on Oracle Big Data Appliance is the latest version of Oracle Big Data SQL, which extends Oracle SQL to Hadoop and NoSQL, enabling customers to use one fast SQL query across all their data, with no application changes.
- Oracle’s Zero Data Loss Recovery Appliance X5: Provides a groundbreaking Oracle Database-integrated data protection solution that eliminates data loss exposure for all Oracle databases, with minimal impact to production environments. Available today, this new version offers faster processors and up to 30 percent expanded capacity within a single rack, enabling faster recovery, higher throughput, and improved database backup consolidation.
As an example of the price/performance value model, Oracle has provided the following graphic based on their converged infrastructure solution – The Oracle Virtual Compute Appliance
Sixth-Generation Oracle Exadata Database Machine X5
The sixth-generation Oracle Exadata Database Machine is the highest-performing and lowest-cost platform for running Oracle Database. Oracle Exadata’s architecture features scale-out database servers, scale-out intelligent storage servers, and high-speed InfiniBand networking. Oracle Exadata X5 includes:
- Faster base performance: 50 percent faster processors, 50 percent larger maximum memory capacity, and faster and larger flash increase overall performance.
- Extreme flash storage server: A newly introduced all-flash storage server uses ultra-fast PCIe flash drives, the latest Non-Volatile Memory Express flash protocol, and InfiniBand scale-out to achieve breakthrough performance and price per I/O. Oracle Exadata X5-2,Oracle SuperCluster T5-8 and Oracle SuperCluster M6-32 engineered systems can be configured with extreme flash storage servers.
- Elastic configurations: Storage and compute can now be configured and expanded one server at a time to provide granular on-demand expansion at a lower cost. Elastic configurations allow customers to configure Oracle Database In-Memory optimized systems as well as all-flash OLTP systems.
- Oracle VM support: Consolidated environments can achieve a high level of workload isolation using Oracle VM while taking advantage of ultra-fast InfiniBand networking. Virtual machine-based licensing reduces software costs.
- New software features: Oracle Exadata X5 has many new software capabilities, including faster pure columnar flash caching, database snapshots, flash cache resource management, near-instant server death detection, I/O latency capping, and offload of JSON and XML analytics, as well as support for Oracle Linux 6.
- Investment protection: Existing Oracle Exadata systems can be expanded with new X5-2 servers, and new software features are supported on previous generations of Oracle Exadata hardware.
- Exabus Connectivity: Oracle Exadata X5-2 supports native Exabus connectivity to the updated Oracle Exalogic Elastic Cloud X5-2. Oracle Exalogic Elastic Cloud X5-2 delivers breakthrough performance and scalability for Java, Oracle Fusion Middleware and Oracle Applications and will provide customers the ability to run on premise the same Infrastructure as a Service and Platform as a Service capability offered in Oracle Cloud.
DesTech – Engineered System Specialists
The professionals at DesTech have extensive experience with the entire Oracle stack in both traditional infrastructure environments as well as Engineered System environments. We can work with you to evaulate, architect, purchase, deploy, and migrate your existing database environments to benefit the users in your organization who depend on fast, reliable access to your company’s data.